SOURCE: UNSOM PUBLIC INFORMATION
RESTRICTIONS: This media asset is free for editorial broadcast, print, online and radio use. It is not to be sold on and is restricted for other purposes.
All enquiries to
CREDIT REQUIRED: UNSOM PUBLIC INFORMATION
LANGUAGE: ENGLISH NATURAL SOUND
DATELINE: 11TH/12TH /SEPTEMBER/2019, MOGADISHU / BAIDOA, SOMALIA
2. Wide shot of Mark Lowcock and Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Somalia Ahmed Isse Awad with representatives from the Federal Government of Somalia and the UN during the welcoming session.
3. Drone shot of Baidoa Town.
4. Wide shot of Baidoa’s Dr. Ayub Stadium, rehabilitated as part of Midnimo peacebuilding project.
5. Soundbite: Interview with a beneficiary of the Midnimo project, Ms. Nasra Warsame Mohamed, representative of Baidoa IDP community.
“We were desperately in need of this project and its needs were obvious, like this area which no one had been able to use… after the contribution of this project we use it is a playground, now even we use when we have events, sometimes we use as offices. The police station brings security to the community and we have benefited from all seven projects… good minds made it possible.”
6. Action – wide shots of soccer/football game between IDPs and the host community.
7. Soundbite: Interview with a community member – Mohamed E.
“I’m from the host community, this project was a really amazing one. In this district, because it is not what someone else decided, but from the host community and IDPs and returnees We have really been asked about our needs and been given a chance to talk about the problems we have and the solutions. We came together, we discussed the needs of the town, after that we prioritized and the project selected five activities – rehabilitating this stadium, a police station, two roads, and a bridge in the town, it was helpful.”
8. Action – wide shots of soccer/football game between IDPs and host community.
9. Soundbite: USG Mark Lowcock;
“We’ve come to Baidoa in South Central Somalia today, this is a part of the country that has been traditionally the epicenter of famine and food security crisis, and right now it’s one of the biggest places people have fled to, who have been displaced by the conflict and we got the humanitarian response providing life-saving food, medicine other support, accommodation. But we’ve also got work on stabilization and recovery and resilience funded by the UN’s Peacebuilding Fund.”
10. GoPro action shot of IDPs and host community after the game, for the medal and trophy ceremony.
11. Over shoulder – shots of IDPs and host community celebrating after the medal and trophy ceremony.
12. Wide shot – winning team celebrating after the medal and trophy ceremony.
13. Soundbite: USG Mark Lowcock;
“Today, we just met young men who are building better relations in their communities through the medium of soccer. We’ve had the medal ceremony and trophy ceremony for the local teams – with the IDP team playing against the local community team, and what the local authorities have told us, the minster, the governor and others, is that this has helped bring communities together. This was a project picked by the local communities through a very consultative process because they understood that part of the reconciliation that was needed would be fostered by projects like this.”
14. GoPro action shot of the soccer match officials and referees during the medal and trophy ceremony.
15. Soundbite: Assistant Secretary-General for Peacebuilding Support Oscar Fernandez-Taranco;
“The rehabilitation of this stadium as being particularly important to provide an opportunity for young people from different communities to build peace by playing sports. We were very much moved, by the stories that lead to the discussions to identify this particular stadium which has a long history in Baidoa, this is where the big soccer matches were played in the past, so rebuilding the future through the participation of youth in peacebuilding activities such as this is particularly important for us to be supportive of.”
16. GoPro action shot of IDPs and host community after the game, for the medal and trophy ceremony.
17. Wide shot – Assistant Secretary-General for Peacebuilding Support Oscar Fernandez-Taranco and Mark Lowcock Under Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs during the medal and trophy ceremony.
18. Long shot of Mark Lowcock USG for Humanitarian Affairs and Oscar Fernandez-Taranco ASG Peacebuilding Support during the medal and trophy ceremony.
19. Long shot of Mark Lowcock USG for Humanitarian Affairs and Oscar Fernandez-Taranco ASG Peacebuilding Support with community members briefing on the Midnimo project in Baidoa.